How To Prepare For Your Newborn Session.
Updated: Jul 14
Preparing for a newborn photography session can help ensure that the experience is enjoyable and successful. Here are some tips on preparing for your newborn session.
1. Schedule the session: Contact the photographer well in advance to schedule a date and time for the newborn photography session. Newborn sessions are typically done within the first two weeks of the baby's life when they are sleepier and more easily posed.
2. Discuss your vision: Talk to the photographer about your desired style and any specific shots or poses you would like to capture. This will help the photographer understand your expectations and plan accordingly.
3. Choose a comfortable location: Decide whether you prefer the session to take place in a studio or in your home. If you opt for a home session, ensure that the room is well-lit and tidy, with minimal clutter in the background.
4. Keep the baby comfortable: Prioritize the comfort and safety of your baby during the session. Dress them in loose-fitting clothes that are easy to remove without disturbing their sleep. It's also a good idea to feed and burp the baby before the session to ensure they are content and relaxed.
5. Maintain a warm environment: Newborns are used to being in a warm and cozy environment, so make sure the room is comfortably heated. This will help keep the baby calm and sleepy throughout the session.
6. Prepare props and outfits: If you have any specific props or outfits you'd like to include in the photos, gather them beforehand. This could include soft blankets, hats, headbands, or sentimental items you'd like to incorporate.
7. Plan for breaks and snacks: Newborn sessions can take several hours, so be prepared for breaks to feed, soothe, or change the baby. Pack extra diapers, wipes, and a change of clothes in case of accidents.
8. Relax and be patient: Newborns can be unpredictable, and it's important to remain patient during the session. Trust the photographer's expertise and be open to their suggestions for poses and setups.
9. Involve family members: If you want to include siblings or parents in the photos, coordinate their outfits and make sure they are prepared for the session as well. It's a good idea to bring some snacks or activities to keep siblings entertained during breaks.
10. Enjoy the experience: The most important thing is to relax, enjoy the session, and cherish the precious moments with your newborn. Let the photographer work their magic while you focus on creating beautiful memories.
Remember to communicate with your photographer throughout the process to ensure that all your expectations are met. Following these tips will help you prepare for a successful newborn photography session and capture beautiful images of your little one.